Waterfox 15Posted by Alex on Monday, October 15, 2012 10:17:45 PM BST +0100
Waterfox is now available from the Download page or via the Updater introduced in version 14.
(Note that the updater will take a while to recognise the update)
What's New in Waterfox 15?
- Support for SPDY networking protocol v3
- WebGL enhancements, including compressed textures for better performance
- Optimized memory usage for add-ons
- New layout view added to Inspector
- High precision event timer implemented
- The CSS word-break property has been implemented.
- New responsive design tool allows web developers to switch between desktop and mobile views of sites
- Native support for the Opus audio codec added
- The <audio> and <video> elements now support the played attribute
- The <source> element now supports the media attribute
- Focus rings keep growing when repeatedly tabbing through elements (720987)
- Fixed any remaining installer issues
- Added optional portable version (useful for users without administrator permissions)
- Optional AVG Security Search
- Intense Profile-Guided Optimisation
Questions about the AVG addition
Many of you will be wondering why Waterfox now has the option to install this feature. To sum it up simply, Waterfox uses expensive software to make it what it is, plus the huge amount of users means expensive hosts. Before I move further on let me say that Waterfox will ALWAYS remain a free program and will never include spamware, spyware or advertisments.
Why not ask for Donations?
While donations are nice, I still feel bad for asking for them from users. Also, it would take a lot of donations to cover the costs that Waterfox has.
Does this mean Waterfox has bloatware?
Absolutely not! The AVG Security Search is completely optional and does not impede your browsing experience at all. In fact, while browsing the web I have found that many users would like their anti-virus companies to build Waterfox compatible software.
I realise some users may not like this but I'm hoping this is the best decision for Waterfox. Nothing about Waterfox has changed, there's now a portable version with no installers and best of all Waterfox as a project will be able to continue!
Last thing, what are these "costs"?
- Digital Certificate
- Installer Software
- Compiler Software
- Web Hosting
I've tried the reliable free hosts, but the overwhelming amount of user vists to the Waterfox website has had them turn me down (e.g. the web host issues a few days past)